• Squash are readily available in Nova Scotia throughout the fall season and into early winter.
• There are many varieties available in Nova Scotia, including acorn squash, butternut squash, and spaghetti squash.
• Squash is a great source of vitamins, minerals and fibre.
Storage, Preparation and Cooking Tips
• Squash should be stored between 10-16°C in a dry, dark place with good air circulation. It can last 3-6 months.
• Wash the squash thoroughly before preparation. One method of preparing squash is to cut it in half/quarters, scoop out all the seeds from the inside and bake for 1 hour on 350°F. Once the squash is cooled, you can peel off the skin and mash or beat the squash with a mixer. Squash is also good in soups.