• Kale is a dark green leafy vegetable that is available in Nova Scotia from July to November.
• Kale is an excellent source of beta-carotene, vitamin A, and calcium and has an abundance of phytochemicals that have anti-oxidative properties.
Storage, Preparation and Cooking Tips
• Kale is best stored in a sealed bag in the refrigerator between 0-4°C.
• Before cooking or eating, remove any damaged or dead leaves, trim the stalk and wash thoroughly.
• Kale can be enjoyed raw in a salad, baked or blanched/ steamed and it will still maintain its crunchy texture.