• Beets are a traditional cold-weather root vegetable in Nova Scotia. They are best known for their bright red color and sweet flavour but they also come in other colours. The pigment that gives beets their red color is called betacyanin, a powerful antioxidant!
• Beets have great nutritional value and are a good source of calcium, iron, potassium, fibre and folate.
Storage, Preparation and Cooking Tips
• Beets are best stored between 0-4° C. They should last a few weeks.
• To prepare beets, wash and trim stem and stalks to 2 cm. They can be boiled or roasted. Once cooked, the skins can be easily removed.
• Sauté with other vegetables or preserve by pickling or canning. Raw beets can be grated into salads. Don’t throw away the leaves they can be eaten too.