We’re participating in the Nourish Your Roots (NYR) fundraiser. What’s next?
Your key contact, in addition to the principal, will coordinate all aspects of the fundraiser. For schools, information will come from the Regional Centre for Education contact person (regional contact). (Note for childcares, information will be sent directly from the NYR Coordinator). This list should help make sure things run smoothly:
- Nourish will send the fundraising packages including electronic documents and delivery date, to your regional contact. Your regional contact will arrange for you to receive the materials in time for your assigned selling period. If boxes are being delivered to your school, you need to decide on a time for customer pick up (it should be scheduled on the same day as your delivery, to minimize the need for storage of the farm boxes at the school overnight). If you are packing at the farm, the time has been will be set.
- Have volunteers ready to organize the envelopes for students to take home. Add relevant order information specific to your school such as date orders are due to school, order packing/pick-up location date and time). Print receipts from your electronic document package, if you wish to use them. NOTE: For those selling during the first cycle, there may be a very short turn-around period to get this done.
- Promote sale of your boxes during your selling period using the tools provided for social media, local radio/newspaper or reach out to groups who may be interested in buying a box but don’t have children in school. Follow Nourish at Twitter.com/NourishNS. NOTE: other schools will be selling so please only sell during your designated selling period.
- NYR provides an opportunity for customers to donate boxes to the school to use at your discretion. Customers will contact you directly if they want to donate. Keep a record of any donated boxes to add to your orders.
- Collect money and order envelopes.
- Complete and submit the Order Summary Form to firstname.lastname@example.org by required date. You will receive a confirmation of the number of boxes, delivery time if applicable; an invoice to pay Nourish Nova Scotia; and the amount due to the farmer which will include a delivery charge of $50 or $75 if applicable.
- Organize volunteers - students and parents - for delivery/pick-up day to unload trucks or pack boxes depending on your farm partner and assist with customer pick-up. If your order is large you will need lots of volunteers. NOTE: The boxes need to be placed in a cool dry location.
- On delivery day make sure two cheques are mailed: one to your farm partner and one to Nourish Nova Scotia as per instructions on the invoice.
- Look for opportunities to link NYR to curriculum, develop food literacy skills and connect with farm partners.
- After the campaign the principal and key contact will complete the feedback form available online.
- Return any unused envelopes via internal school board mail to your regional contact (childcares may send directly to Nourish) to reduce waste.
Remember funds raised must be used to support healthy food initiatives or programs in the school.
When is my school’s selling period?
Each school is assigned a two-week selling period (in September or October) and a designated delivery period (in October or November). This information is included in your May confirmation letter.
Can a school choose the delivery day and time for the NYR boxes to arrive?
No, the scheduling of deliveries is complex. The NYR coordinator works with regional contacts, farmers and trucking companies to determine delivery schedules across the province. Many factors are taken into account including bell times, scheduled in-service days and school locations as the delivery trucks will often visit 4-5 schools per day.
When will the school know its actual delivery day and time?
The delivery date will be provided by email by the first week of September with an estimated delivery time. The actual delivery time will be confirmed a few days after your order due date.
How are the boxes delivered?
For most schools the boxes are delivered ready-packed directly to the school from the farm and must be picked up by customers the same day. Delivery will usually occur between 7:00am and 3:30pm.
Some farms may look to involve students/community in the harvesting and/or packing of the boxes. This would be discussed with the school when offered the opportunity to participate and prior to confirmation of participation. Specific details for each of these options will be confirmed directly with any schools to which they apply.
When should customers pick up their boxes?
Box pick-up must occur the day the boxes are delivered/packed to ensure the quality of the produce. However, you can set the time based on what works best for your volunteers/community. (Remember for schools packing/picking up at the farm, the time will be set for you.) Most schools set a 2 to 3 hour period. You should have a plan for any boxes that are not collected during your pick-up time.
Consider sending out a reminder on social media or the radio the day before to remind customers to pick up their NYR boxes (this will be especially helpful to customers who are not parents).
Can students carry the boxes home?
Although must students are capable of helping unload the boxes, it is not reasonable for them to carry a box home. The boxes weigh 20-28lbs each so they cannot be carried home by students.