Crunchy Nova Scotia Granola
Strive for Five Recipe
Yield: 30 servings
4 cups/320g old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup/45g oat bran
1/2 cup/35g flax flour or flax meal
1/2 cup/50g skim-milk powder
1/2 cup/125 mL canola oil
1 cup/ 250mL honey, liquid
1 tbsp/15mL almond extract
1 tbsp/15mL vanilla extract
1/2 tsp/2g salt
2 cups/240g cranberries, dried
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, oat bran, and flax flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the skim-milk powder, oil, honey, almond extract, vanilla extract, and salt. Pour the mixture over the oats and stir until well combined.
- Divide the mixture between the 2 sheet pans (greased) and spread in an even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes; stir. Continue baking for another 20 minutes, until the oats are slightly golden brown. The oats may feel soft but will crisp as they cool.
- Cool completely. Stir in the dried cranberries.
- Store the cooled granola in an airtight container; it should keep for at least 3 weeks.
Homemade granola makes an excellent topping for fruits and smoothies.