Thai Inspired Noodle Soup
Yield: 4-6 servings
1/2 lb/227g Ground pork, chicken or turkey
2 cloves Crushed garlic
2 tsp/10mL Fresh grated ginger
1/2 tsp/2mL Cumin seed-crushed
1/2 tsp/2mL Red pepper flakes
1 tbsp/15mL Chopped fresh spicy pepper (Thai red or green, red chili, jalapeno or finger pepper)
1 tbsp/15mL Vegetable oil
6 cups/1.5L Chicken or vegetable stock
6 cups/1.5L Greens (mustard, kale, chard or any combination)
4 Green onions chopped
2 tbsp/30mL Soy sauce
1 tbsp/15mL Fish sauce
1 Juice of one lime
Salt and Pepper, to taste
2 cups/500mL Noodles, cooked, drained, rinsed (rice, udon, soba, whole wheat spaghetti)
- Mix garlic, ginger, cumin, pepper flakes, fresh spicy pepper with ground meat.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat and brown meat seasoned with salt and pepper, breaking up with back of spatula ~8 minutes.
- Add stock, bring to simmer and cook allowing flavours to meld for 5 minutes.
- Add greens and green onions and cook until greens are tender ~5 minutes.
- Add soy & fish sauce, lime juice and season to taste. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked noodles to finished soup, or add noodles to individual bowls and spoon soup over noodles. Freezes well.
This soup takes 30 minutes to make start to finish, and will accept a host of substitutions for meat, greens and noodles depending on your taste and your pantry. Adjust the spicy fresh pepper based on your personal preference.