Spicy Herbed Potatoes
Adapted from Strive for Five.
Yield: 8 servings
8 Potatoes, suited for baking
1 tbsp/15mL Non-hydrogenated margarine
2 tbsp/30mL Canola oil
1 tbsp/15mL Spiced Herb Mixture (see below)
Spiced Herb Mixture Ingredients
Makes 6 Tbsp, Use only 1 Tbsp for recipe above.
3 tbsp/45mL Salt
5 Medium garlic cloves, peeled
2 tsp/10mL Paprika
2 tsp/10mL Chili powder
1 tsp/5mL Pepper, freshly ground
1 tsp/5mL Turmeric
1 tsp/5mL Poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp/2mL Celery seeds
1/2 tsp/2mL Dill seeds
1/2 tsp/2mL Mustard powder
1/2 tsp/2mL Ginger, ground
1/2 tsp/2mL Onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Wash the potatoes. Cut each potato in half lengthwise; then cut each half into about 6–8 lengthwise slices.
- Melt the margarine and mix with the oil. Mix with the potatoes. Make sure that all the potato slices are covered with the margarine/oil mixture.
- Spread out the potatoes in an 11”x17” pan, only 1 layer deep.
- Bake until lightly brown (about 40 minutes). Remove from the oven and sprinkle 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of the spiced herb mixture over the potatoes; mix in the herbs and bake for 20 minutes longer
Spiced Herb Mixture Directions
- Place the salt and garlic cloves in a food processor and process until smooth. Be sure to measure the salt carefully.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the remaining spices and herbs and mix well.
This recipe makes 6 tbsp (90 mL). It may be doubled or tripled and stored in the refrigerator for future use.