Scalloped Turnip and Apple
Adapted from Strive for Five.
Yield: 8 servings
1 1/2 lbs/750g Turnip
2 tsp/10mL Margarine or butter
1/2 tsp/2mL Salt
Pepper, to taste
2 Medium apples
1/4 cup/60ml Brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 tsp/1mL Cinnamon, ground
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Peel and dice the turnip. In a large pot, boil the turnip until tender.
- Mash the turnip with a potato masher and add the margarine, salt, and pepper.
- Wash, core, and slice the apples with an apple slicer. Ready-sliced apples will speed up the preparation time.
- Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Add the apple slices and toss.
- Lightly grease the 9”x13” pan. Arrange layers of the mashed turnip and apple slices over the pan, beginning and ending with a turnip layer.
- Bake for 1 hour and cut into 8 portions.