Parsnip and Apple Casserole
Adapted from Strive for Five.
Yield: 8 servings
4 cups (1 lb)/454g Parsnips
2 tbsp Brown sugar, lightly packed
1 tsp/5mL Cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp/2mL Salt
1 tsp/5mL Cornstarch
1/4 cup/60mL Apple juice
1/2 tsp/2mL Margarine and butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Wash and peel the parsnips and slice thinly. Place in a pan of water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- While the parsnips are simmering, core the apple and slice thinly to make rings.
- Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Evenly arrange the parsnips and apple slices in layers in an 8”x8” pan. Sprinkle each layer with the brown-sugar mixture.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the apple juice and pour over the parsnip/apple mixture.
- Dot the top layer with the margarine.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes, checking after 35 minutes. The parsnips should be very tender when pricked with a fork.
- Cut into 8 portions, trying to keep the parsnips and apples in layers.