Onion Apple Compote
Adapted from Strive for Five.
Yield: 8 servings
1/2 tsp/2mL Butter
2 lbs/1kg Apples
1 tsp/5mL Lemon juice
1/4 cup/60mL All-purpose flour
1/4 cup/60mL Brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 tsp/2mL Salt
1 lb/454g Onions
1/2 cup/125mL Apple juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lightly grease an 8”x8” pan with butter.
- Wash the apples. Use an apple corer to core each apple. Slice the apples into thin rings and sprinkle with the lemon juice to prevent discolouration.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, and salt. Sprinkle over the apples and toss gently to coat.
- Slice the onions and layer with the seasoned apples in the pan. Pour the apple juice over the onions and apples.
- Cover and bake for 45–60 minutes. Uncover for the last 5 minutes to brown lightly.
- Serve with any pork, chicken, or beef menu item. This compote also adds zip to a sandwich, wrap, or hamburger.