Nova Scotia Hodgepodge
16 Small new potatoes, cut in half
1 bunch New carrots, cut on the bias in 1” pieces
1 cup/250mL Shelled peas
3 cups/750mL Fresh beans, green and yellow, cut in half
2 ears Fresh corn on the cob
1-2 tbsp/15-30mL Butter
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp/15mL Chopped fresh thyme (optional)
1 clove Garlic, finely minced (optional)
1 cup/250mL Chicken stock
6 cups/1.5L Milk
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt butter and sauté onions and thyme until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, and add chicken stock to the pot, bring to a simmer.
- Add potatoes, carrots and some salt and cook for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat milk in the microwave or stovetop.
- Prepare other vegetables, including cutting the corn off the cob.
- When potatoes and carrots are tender, add peas and toss.
- Add hot milk and remaining vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring pot back to a gentle simmer. Cover, and turn off the burner.
- Let the pot sit, covered on the burner for 30 minutes. The hot liquid will cook the vegetables to a tender crisp.
- Enjoy the best taste of Nova Scotia’s summer!
This recipe is a guideline only. Use whatever seasonal vegetables
are on hand – add to the pot according to cooking time.