Yield: 4-6 servings
2 tsp/10mL Olive oil
1 cup/250mL Chopped onion
1/2 cup/125mL Chopped peppers-any colour
2 cloves Garlic
2 tsp/10mL Ginger root-grated
2 tsp/10mL each Cumin and curry powder
1 tsp/5mL each Ground coriander, chili powder (or to taste)
1/2 tsp/2mL Cinnamon
4 cups/1L Vegetable broth
1 large can Italian Plum tomatoes
1 x 19oz can Chick peas or any other bean you have on hand-rinsed
3 cups/750mL Mixed root vegetables (carrot, sweet potato, squash, turnip, parsnip)
1/2 tsp/2mL Salt or to taste
1/2 tsp/2mL Pepper
2 tbsp/30mL Peanut butter
2 tbsp/30mL Cilantro
- In a large heavy bottom pot or a Dutch oven, heat oil and cook onions until soft, add peppers and garlic and spices and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth and tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Add salt and pepper then add carrot/turnip/parsnip first-bring to a simmer and cook approximately 10 minutes before adding squash & sweet potatoes.
- Simmer till vegetables are cooked but slightly firm, about 25 minutes. Add chick peas, peanut butter and cilantro. Adjust seasoning if needed and let steep 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a flatbread or toasted pita
Tip: Mix and match vegetable combinations based on what is available to you.