Leek and Potato Soup with Carrot and Celery
Adapted from jamieoliver.com.
2 Sticks Celery
2 Medium Onions
2 Cloves Garlic
2 tbsp/30mL Olive oil
2 cubes Chicken or vegetable stock
- Wash, trim, peel and roughly slice the carrots and celery. Peel and roughly chop the onions. Peel and finely slice the garlic.
- Cut the ends off the leeks, quarter them lengthways, wash them under running water and cut them into 1cm slices.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan on a high heat, add all the chopped and sliced ingredients and cook with for 10 minutes, or until softened, stirring regularly.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut them into 1cm cubes.
- Put the stock cubes into a jug or pan, pour in 1.8 litres of boiling water and stir to dissolve, then pour into the vegetable pan.
- Add the potatoes. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on, then remove from the heat.
- Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper, then either serve like this or pulse until smooth using a stick blender or liquidizer.
- Great served with grilled, toasted or baked chunky croutons or slices of ciabatta bread.