Adapted from Strive for Five.
Yield: 8 x 1/2 cup servings
4 cups/1L Cooked beets
1/4 cup/60mL White granulated sugar
2 tbsp/30mL Cornstarch
1/4 tsp/1mL Thyme
Pepper to taste
1/4 cup/60mL Unsweetened orange juice
1 cup/250mL Water
2 tsp/10mL Margarine or butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- If the beets are large, cut them into slices or cubes.
- In a saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch, salt, thyme, and pepper. Add the orange juice and water. Stir until the mixture is smooth and there are no visible lumps of cornstarch.
- Cook the cornstarch mixture until it thickens.
- Place the beets in a 8” x 8” baking pan, pour the cornstarch mixture over the top, and bake for 20 minutes to allow the beets to absorb the flavour of the cornstarch mixture.
- Stir in the margarine just before serving.