Strawberry Apple Salsa and Cinnamon Crisps
Adapted from Strive for Five.
Yield: 10 servings
2 cups/500mL Whole strawberries, frozen
2 Medium apples, cored and diced
1/4 cup/60mL Honey, liquid
Zest from 1 orange (carefully wash the orange beforehand)
4 9-inch/22cm Whole-wheat tortillas
1 tbsp/15mL White granulated sugar
1/2 tsp/2mL Cinnamon, ground
- Spread the strawberries on a large sheet pan to thaw for about 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mash the strawberries with a potato masher. Add the apples, honey, and orange zest. Stir well to blend.
This tangy fruit-salsa mix goes well with both sweet
and savoury dishes. It makes a delicious topping for
vanilla-flavoured yogourt or with Cinnamon Crisps
(recipe below). Serve it with chicken fingers instead
of ketchup, which is very high in sodium.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together.
- Brush the tortillas with water; sprinkle with the sugar/cinnamon mixture. Cut each tortilla into 16 pieces (4 x 16 = 64 pieces).
- Bake for about 5 minutes, until golden and crisp.