Glazed Squash with Cranberry Sauce
Adapted from Strive for Five.
1 Medium buttercup or acorn squash
1 tbsp/15mL Maple syrup
1 tsp/5mL Margarine or butter
1/3 tsp/2mL Nutmeg, ground
2 cups/500mL Cranberries, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup/125mL Water
1/4 cup/60mL Orange juice
1/2 cup/125mL Brown sugar
1/2 tsp/2mL Cinnamon, ground
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Cut the squash in half and clean out the seeds. Cut each half into 4 pieces. One squash should yield 8 pieces, each about 1 1/2”–2” (4–5-cm) wide. Depending on the size of the squash, you may be able to get more pieces per squash. Grease the 11”x17”sheet pan with some margarine.
- Arrange the squash skin-side-down on the sheet pan. Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the maple syrup, margarine, nutmeg, and salt in a saucepan. Cook over a low heat until the butter just melts. Remove the foil from the squash and baste generously with the maple-syrup glaze. Bake for an additional 60 minutes, or until the squash is tender, basting with the glaze 2–3 times during the cooking period.
- Combine the ingredients for the cranberry sauce and simmer until the cranberries break open.
- Serve each piece of squash (skin-side-down) spread with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of cranberry sauce.