Crusty Homemade Vegetable Pizza
Adapted from Strive for Five.
Yield: 8 servings
2/3 cup/160mL All purpose flour
1/3 cup/80mL Whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp/8mL Quick rising yeast
1/2 tsp/3mL Salt
1/2 cup/120mL Warm water
1/2 tsp/3mL Granulated sugar
1 tbsp/15mL Canola oil
TOMATO SAUCE AND TOPPINGS
1/2 cup/125mL Prepared tomato sauce (low sodium)
1 1/2 cup/360mL Grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup/250mL Fresh spinach, washed & dried
1 Roasted red pepper, sliced
1 cup /250mL Sliced mushrooms
- In a bowl mix the flours, yeast and salt.
- In another bowl, combine warm water, sugar and oil. Add to flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir until the dough begins to come together and forms a ball. You may need to add in a little more flour by the tablespoon, until dough becomes less sticky.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead gently until dough feels elastic. Shape into ball. Place ball in a lightly greased bowl; leave at room temperature until it doubles in size (approx. 1 hour)
- Lightly grease a pizza pan. Using fingertips, spread dough to the outside edges of the pan.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the pizza dough.
- Spread ½ - ¾ of the cheese over the pizza.
- Lay spinach evenly over cheese.
- Top with remaining cheese, Distribute the red pepper slices over the pizza. Spread sliced mushrooms over the pizza.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Cut into 8 slices.