Chickpea Sweet Potato Stew with Barley
Adapted from Half Your Plate.
Yield: 4-6 servings
1 tbsp/15mL Canola oil
4 cloves Garlic minced
1 tbsp/15mL Ginger minced
1 small Onion, diced
1 tsp/5mL Coriander
1/2 tsp/2mL Cinnamon
1/2 tsp/2mL Turmeric
1/2 tsp/2mL Paprika
1/8 tsp/1mL Cayenne optional
2 cups Sweet potato, ¼” cubes
1 15 oz can/540mL Chickpeas (rinsed, drained)
1/2 cup/125mL Pot barley
1 Tomato plum, chopped
3 cups/750mL Chicken broth no-salt added
1/2 tsp/2mL Salt (to taste)
1 cup Peas, frozen, thawed
5 Prunes, cut into quarters
2 tbsp/30mL Lemon juice
Plain Greek yogurt and chopped cilantro to garnish
- In large pot or Dutch oven, heat canola oil over medium heat.
- Cook ginger, garlic, onion and spices for 3 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, chickpeas, barley and tomato. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add broth and salt (if using a salted broth, you won’t need the salt).
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water or broth if stew becomes dry.
- Add peas and prunes. Cook for 5 minutes. Add lemon juice after heat is turned off.
- Ladle into bowls, and top with plain Greek yogurt and chopped cilantro.