Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Adapted from Select Nova Scotia.
1 Butternut squash, peeled & cubed (seeds scooped out)
4 Apples, peeled, cored & diced
1 Onion, sliced
1 tbsp/15mL Olive oil
Water, to cover
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp/15mL Summer savory
2 Bay leaves
1 tbsp/15mL Maple syrup
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add the olive oil and sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Add the squash and salt and pepper.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes and add the apple then cover with water.
- Add the summer savory, bay leaves and maple syrup.
- Cook until soft and then puree half of the soup in the blender and return to the other half.
- Check for seasoning and add more if needed.
Tip: Serve with thinly sliced aged gouda on top.
A simple, satisfying soup perfect to make in the fall when squash and apples are at their best.