Apple and Rice Confetti Salad
Adapted from foodnetwork.com.
Yield: 8 servings
3/4 cup/ 175mL Brown rice
1/4 cup/60mL Red pepper, finely chopped
1/4 cup/60mL Green onions, chopped
1/4 cup/60mL Celery, finely chopped
2 tbsp/30 mL Parsley, chopped
8 Lettuce leaves
2 tbsp/30mL Canola oil
2 tbsp/30mL Cider vinegar
2 tsp/10mL Lemon juice
1/4 tsp/1mL Cinnamon, ground
1/4 tsp/1mL Salt
1/4 tsp/1mL Pepper
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups (500mL) of water to a boil. Add the rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed - about 35-40 minutes. Let cool.
- Wash the apple, remove the core and dice into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked brown rice with the diced apple and chopped red pepper, green onions, celery and parsley.
- Combine the vinaigrette ingredients in a jar and shake well until slightly thickened. Stir into rice mixture. Cool.
- Wash and dry the lettuce. For each serving, place 1/2 cup (125mL) of the rice salad on a small bed of lettuce..